A faulty space heater is being blamed for a fire that gutted a Poughkeepsie garage this week, killing six dogs inside, fire officials said.
Firefighters responding to the two-alarm fire Tuesday doused the flames quickly, but not before the half dozen pups in the garage were killed by the blaze, Arlington Professional Firefighters Local 2393 said in a Facebook post.
“One handling was put into operation, and the fire was under control in less than 15 minutes,” the post said. “Multiple dogs were housed in the detached garage. Unfortunately, 6 dogs died in the fire.”
“However,” the union said, “firefighters rescued 3 dogs, which are now in the care of local animal hospitals.”
In a report Wednesday, the Poughkeepsie Journal said that local fire officials determined that the space heater sparked the fire.
The fire came two days after a malfunctioning space heater was blamed for sparking a massive fire in the Bronx that killed 17 people and injured dozens of others.